Well, the sanders have been stored away, and the sweepers are out. Spring is finally underway!
Ward 2 updates:
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR for a Ward 2 Town Hall meeting on the evening of May 24th at Station 20 West. Community meal and gathering @ 6pm, Meeting @ 7pm.
This will be an opportunity for us to chat in person about the issues and opportunities that you're seeing in your neighbourhood, the Ward and the city as a whole.
- The Traffic Safety Review for Riversdale is now underway and the one started last year for Pleasant Hill will now move into the implementation phase. If you live in or travel in Riversdale and have some safety concerns as a driver, pedestrian, or cyclist, click here to join the dialogue on facebook, or email email@example.com with feedback about trouble spots or general concerns before May 28th.
- Action in Victoria Park - the Where Our Paths Cross - TRC artwork project is going to be installed the week of May 7th. The official unveiling will take place in June - more details to come.
- 33rd and Ave D - the downed traffic light will be replaced with an expected completion in late May. Full details here
- Report a Pothole online! You know that pothole that's been bugging you? Indicate it on the map to be sure it doesn't get missed - photos welcome. This works for utility cuts as well. You can also report potholes/utility cuts by calling 306-975-2476
- Community clean ups are being scheduled and coming up soon. Get in touch with your neighbourhood Community Association to find out when yours is and how you can help!
- Roadways update
Equipment is now fully converted to summer maintenance and it is taking place in full force. The late spring melt has created some challenges, and the pre-sweep before neighbourhood sweeps has been substantially condensed. Challenges aside, it is now warm enough to use hot mix asphalt, and line painting has also begun. Please watch for detours and proceed slowly around working crews.
The street sweeping schedule reflects rotating start times so that neighbourhoods are treated fairly and are not always early or late in the schedule. For full details on what to expect and how you can help, click here.
Here's the Ward 2 sweep schedule for 2018:
- Caswell Hill Streets - Friday, Jun 8
- Caswell Hill Avenues - Friday, Jun 1
- Holiday Park Streets - Thursday, Jun 14
- Holiday Park Avenues - Thursday, Jun 7
- King George Streets - Thursday, Jun 14
- King George Avenues - Thursday, Jun 7
- Meadowgreen Avenues - Friday, Jun 15
- Meadowgreen Streets - Monday, Jun 18
- Montgomery Place (All) - Sunday, Jun 10
- Pleasant Hill Streets - Sunday, Jun 17
- Pleasant Hill Avenues - Thursday, Jun 7
- Riversdale Streets - Thursday, Jun 14
- Riversdale Avenues - Thursday, Jun 7
- Westmount Avenues - Friday, Jun 1
- Westmount Streets - Friday, Jun 8
Consultations to participate in:
- Corridor Planning: Don't miss some key opportunities to provide feedback about major identified corridors for redevelopment, including 22nd St. W.
- Find the full details here
- Fill out the pedestrian experience survey here - pick a section of 22nd st. to walk then share your experience!
- Join the Corridor Planning Team on a Walking Tour along 22nd Street W or 8th Street E on May 5 & 6! Full details here
- Keep up to date with Transit Planning, including BRT here
- the Saskatoon Police Service is holding their annual Community Information Night on May 23rd (Wednesday). The meeting will take place in the Community Room at the Police Station (76 25th St E) from 7-9pm. Guest speakers include SCAN and the Guns and Gangs unit.
Did you know...
You can sign up for Garbage and Recycling day reminders (email, phone or text)! Sign up today and never forget a collection again.
While you're at it consider signing up for paperless Utility eBills too!
Alert! - We've learned of a utility services phone scam taking place in our City. The City Utilities do NOT call from a 1-800 phone number. They also use written communications to alert customers of major service changes, not phone. More here.
Green carts - the earlybird deadline is Monday April 30th. Pickups begin first week of May. Full details and online registration here.
Compost/Landfill operations - compost depots are now open and the summer hours for the Landfill have come into effect.
Bus frequency has increased on Preston Ave and Attridge Drive. Full details here.
Community Safety & Wellbeing
The April meeting of the Governance and Priority Committee included updates on Strategic Priority Areas from members of Council. The update on my area of responsibility can be found in full here.
City Council meets Monday (April 30th) at City Hall in City Council chambers. As always, Council meetings are open to the public.
Brief highlights are outlined below. For full agenda, visit https://www.saskatoon.ca/city-hall/city-council-boards-committees/council/minutes-and-agendas
Regular Business Meeting | 1:00 PM
- [unfinished] Residential Fire Pits / Revision of Open Air Bylaw - last vote to see new bylaw come into effect
- Roof snow load effects with infill development
- Provincial Bill No. 113 - Planning & Development Act
- Funding strategy for Affordable Housing Reserve
- Optimist Hill @ Diefenbaker Park Project Update
- Energy Performance Contracting - implementation plan
- Engagement results - Climate Change plan
- Water Treatment Plant - enclosure/security upgrades - update
- Storm Water Pond - safety review - update & implementation
- 36 hour parking on street - residential
- Saskatoon Freeway Project - final alignment - update & endorsement
- Right-of-way Temporary use fees (construction bins & lane closures)
- Parking ticket review - incorrect licence plate entry
- Provincial budget impact - reducing 2018 property taxes
- Property Tax Levy & BID Levies - bylaws (2018)
- Absences & support for Councillors
- Nuisance barking - inquiry
- River landing naming request - Joni Mitchell Promenade
Public Hearing Meeting | 6:00 PM
- Discretionary Use & Right-of-Way closure hearings (none in Ward 2)
- Proclamations/Flag Raisings
As always, if you'd like to speak to Council as a whole about something on the agenda, please get in touch with the Clerk's office before the meeting. More info here: https://www.saskatoon.ca/write-letter-councilcommittees