As the year comes to a close, its a great time to reflect on what we've accomplished together, and look ahead to what more we can achieve in the new year. Check out some of the results of our 2018 investments here, and give your feedback about performance and priorities here.
Budget 2019 was debated and passed late last month. Focus was maintained on improving infrastructure assets, with additional investments in sidewalks maintenance, parks maintenance and snow & ice management. Measured investments were also committed for:
- Tackling the root causes of crime through smart growth at Saskatoon Police and through the Safe Community Action Alliance
- Enabling valuable partnerships for excellent recreation amenities in our community
- Reducing our community and corporate greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) through planning around smart infrastructure upgrades, green energy production, waste diversion and more
Warm wishes to you and your loved ones this Holiday season! I hope that the season provides an opportunity for some extra time together.
Ward 2 updates:
- Proposed discretionary use
The administration has delivered a follow up communication about the discretionary use application on 11th street west clarifying the process and application details. Feedback can be incorporated into reports to Council until the 18th. Please submit them directly to City Planner Ashley Kostyniuk: firstname.lastname@example.org who is leading this review. This application is scheduled to be in front of City Council in January.
City wide policy updates:
- Waste management
Notice has been received from a member of Council who wishes to vote on rescinding (undoing) the vote related to the Pay as you Throw waste program change. I will be watching carefully for any new information available. I remain committed to a reasonable balance between individual affordability and the sustainability of our landfill - and the long term affordability that comes with reducing its use.
Council is scheduled to consider the ridesharing/Transportation Network Company (TNC) bylaw this month. This follows release of the Provincial regulations just a short time ago. As I have indicated from the beginning, I remain committed to appropriate and strong safety regulations, and a fair and competitive environment for all ride services including Taxis. This is critical to maintaining the public benefit that comes from these services in both the short and long term.
Consultations/Workshops to participate in:
- Civic Services Survey
Give your feedback about performance and priorities here before Sunday Dec 16th!
- Interested in engaging regularly? Consider joining our Citizen Advisory Panel.
Members of the Citizen Advisory Panel are invited to participate in regular online surveys to provide input and ideas on improving City services.
Did you know...
- City Wide NotifyNOW test complete
Learn more about the system at the link above.
If you didn't get your notices on Dec 5th, sign up now.
If you got notices in ways that aren't ideal for you, customize your account now.
- Texting Scam
There is a reported text scam involving texts that appear to come from Saskatoon Light and Power and SaskPower offering a refund. These are not legitimate. Learn more here.
- Today's the day to go paperless with Waste reminders
The 2019 Waste collection calendar will be online only. Check out the great digital tools available for reminders here and never miss a pickup again - just start by searching your address, and you'll be on on your way!
- The speed skating oval opens this Saturday
The Clarence Downey Speed Skating Oval will be open this Saturday. Did you know that the 'new' oval is now ON TOP of a new track and field facility? The folks at the Gordie Howe Sports Complex have been working feverishly to get these two facilities ready for their opposing seasons and it all starts Saturday. Admission is FREE and any skates can be worn. Head online to check the public skating hours.
- Winter City Shakeup Conference 2019
Saskatoon is going to be featured in all of its winter glory next month during the Winter City Shakeup conference. This conference was started in Edmonton and will be hosted in Saskatoon this year. Check out the details here and watch for updates from the City of Saskatoon about how you can engage during the conference with our Winter City Strategy.
- Household Hazardous Waste
Pickup days have been set for 2019 and will be held in a NEW location at the Civic Operations Center. Info about dates and what can be accepted here.
- Imagine Idylwyld
Much discussion has taken place around the Imagine Idylwyld project and the hard-to-believe projected traffic improvements within a narrowed driving surface. The plans not only improve congestion/traffic flow, but also leave more space for public realm improvements including better sidewalk design, a raised cycling track, and public amenities. This video illustrating how it will all work is available for viewing. I encourage you to take a look.
City Council meets Monday (December 17th) at City Hall in City Council chambers. As always, Council meetings are open to the public. Brief highlights are outlined below. For full agenda, visit https://www.saskatoon.ca/city-hall/city-council-boards-committees/council/minutes-and-agendas
Regular Business Meeting | 1:00 PM
- Grasswood mix-use node - market study
- SREDA annual report & tax incentives
- Federal gas tax funding - bylaw amendment
- Green infrastructure strategy update
- Award of contract - workflow application
- Flood control strategy - 9 year plan
- Exceed purchase order - topsoil stripping at West material handling facility
- Exceed purchase order - roadways downtown snow maintenance
- Complete Streets policy
- Triple Bottom Line policy framework
- Absences and Support for Councillors
- Annual appointments to Boards, Commissions, Committees
- Personnel Subcommittee - terms of reference
- Sister City considerations
- Proposed rate & fee increases 2019
- Transportation Network Company (Rideshare) bylaw & Taxi bylaw
- Storm Water management utility bylaw
- Motion to rescind vote on waste utility (PAYT)
Public Hearing Meeting | 6:00 PM
- Land Use hearings: rezonings, discretionary use hearings (none in Ward 2)
- Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments – Garden and Garage Suite Regulations
- Corman Park - Saskatoon Planning District Official Community Plan Amendments
- Proclamations & Flag Raisings
As always, if you'd like to speak to Council as a whole about something on the agenda, please get in touch with the Clerk's office or fill out the form at the link before 10 am the day of the meeting. https://www.saskatoon.ca/write-letter-councilcommittees