It's been a busy couple of months and there's a lot to update on, so I'll get right to it.
Ward 2 updates:
- South Caswell Redevelopment: Saskatoon Transit has moved! This has been a long-awaited transition for Caswell Hill residents. Some funding was approved for the second phase of environmental assessment which is ongoing. I was able to join residents in a walking tour of the site with members of the administration to discuss security of the site and safety in the area. Thank you to all who participated and shared their concerns, ideas and perspective.
- Civic Operations Centre (COC): The monumental building was commissioned and has been serving as the home for Saskatoon Transit for over a month now. The snow storage facility at the COC is also operational and to date, I have heard no concerns about noise or other disturbances from this new activity. If you have concerns, please be in touch.
- An accelerated Lead Service Line (LSL) replacement program will begin this summer, and will see all of the 4,900 LSLs in the City replaced over the next 10 years. Many of these are in Ward 2 neighbourhoods. Going forward this accelerated program will also be more efficient due to improved coordination with other underground and road surface work. Community meetings were held to answer questions about the upcoming work, and I am working hard to establish payment term options to respond to homeowner concerns around cost and short notice. If you got a notice about work this summer and have a work contract in hand, keep your eyes peeled for another notice once the options pass Council (hopefully) at the end of the month.
City-wide updates & happenings:
- There has been a lot of discussion around snow and road clearing, especially with this latest snowfall and accompanying wind. Get regular updates on the clearing work with the map here, and learn more about the program/priority system here. This weekend we should see snow picked up from where it was graded in school zones, Downtown and the Business Improvement Districts.
- Spring/Summer Leisure guide is here! You've likely received it in your mailbox already, but it's also available online: saskatoon.ca/leisureguide Registration (online or by phone: 306-975-2800) begins on March 12 at 6pm.
- Did you know that it's Cultural Diversity and Race Relations month? Learn more: saskatoon.ca/iamthebridge
- #Read4Reconciliation - all of Council has committed -- will you join us? saskatoonlibrary.ca/read-for-reconciliation
- Winter Play Program (free!): There are a few locations, including one in Westmount. Ages 2-12 years; Drop in format on Sat/Sun til March 19th. Head to the link for more details.
Consultations to participate in:
- Share your thoughts about how we can improve winter mobility on roads and sidewalks: saskatoon.ca/snow
- Have an idea to make our City even greater in Winter? Share it here: saskatoon.ca/wintercityyxe
Need to talk to the City?
Find a list of citizen service phone numbers here.
My 2017 Committee Appointments:
Please note that these appointments help to focus my work, but do not limit my scope.
Standing Policy Committee on Planning, Development and Community Services
Standing Policy Committee on Environment, Utilities and Corporate Services
Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee
Saskatoon Accessibility Advisory Committee
Saskatoon Public Library Board
Riversdale Business Improvement District
Saskatoon Housing Initiatives Partnership
Saskatoon Ideas Inc. Board of Directors
Don't hesitate to write, call, or catch me in person to discuss an issue or ask any questions you might have. I am out of town a number of times over the next month and a bit, so please be patient if you get an out-of-office message -- I will respond as quickly as I'm able. If you need to speak with someone urgently, please consult the list of phone numbers above, or call the Clerk's office: 306-975-3240
All the best,
p.s. My apologies for the missed update in February. I appreciate your patience as I get up to speed with this new role and work hard to make time for all of the many important aspects of the job. I will try my best to keep these updates consistent - I enjoy preparing them, and enjoy hearing from you. Thank you for keeping in touch and for all of the work you do to make our community the best it can be.
Do you like this page?