Tomorrow is the first official day of summer, but summertime fun and celebrations are well underway. Read on for lots of excitement coming up (and some work too)!
Ward 2 updates:
- 19th Street redesign : A redesign of 19th Street from 1st Ave to Ave H has taken place and there is an info session at the Farmer's Market from 7-9pm on Tuesday the 20th. The new road is intended to include an "All Ages and Abilities" (AAA) bike facility (lane).
- Upcoming road work : wondering what road work might be taking place in your neighbourhood? Check out some of the plans here <https://www.saskatoon.ca/moving-around/driving-roadways/road-maintenance-repair>.
- Most community associations are breaking for the summer to meet again in the Fall. Get in touch with your community association president to find out how to get involved for the 2017/2018 year!
- Rail Safety Improvement Project : The 11th Street rail crossing was the subject of two funding applications from the City of Saskatoon Transportation Department to the Federal Rail Safety Improvement Program; One of the projects was approved for funding and will be considered by Council next Monday. The approved project is a Railway Crossing Information System which will include train detectors, wireless communication and other infrastructure upgrades to help predict blockages and delays and communicate in real-time to allow for proactive route planning - especially for emergency vehicles. While this is not a final solution, it is an important step. The project to plan grade separation (over/under- pass) at that location was, unfortunately, not approved for funding and does not at this time have a funding source. This is a major priority of mine, and I want to thank everyone who continues to reach out about delays and safety concerns. I share them and will continue to push this issue.
- Caswell Hill community safety meeting : The Caswell Hill and the Hudson Bay Park/Kelsey Woodlawn/Mayfair community associations are hosting a community safety meeting. If you live in Caswell Hill, come join us on Tuesday the 27th from 7-9pm at Mayfair School Gym. Members of the community associations will be joined by myself and Coun. Hill, members of the SPS, of SCAN, of bylaw/property maintenance enforcement and more. There will be some brief presentations followed by a town hall Q&A.
- Thank you to everyone who has written, called, or chatted in person about various big decision items lately. The road closures on 11th St W/Ave H South/Spadina Cres W were a big one and although the outcome is not what many would have liked, I was glad to have many of you equip me with some ways to help prevent later challenges, and also highlight some new areas for consultation. The remainder of the SW Transportation study will be considered separately. I've also been hearing a lot about backyard burning and possibly transitioning the way that waste collection is carried out and funded. Thank you for your feedback - I'll be seeking much more as future decision points come up on these issues.
City-wide updates & happenings/Consultations to participate in:
- Drop in and learn about changes to the frequency of bus service on 22nd Street this summer. Come and go : near the food court at Confederation Mall 6-8pm on June 22nd.
- Phase 3 of the Imagine Idylwyld consultation is taking place now. The online survey closes on June 23rd so share your input today! Survey Here <https://www.saskatoon.ca/business-development/planning/neighbourhood-planning/imagine-idylwyld>.
- A neighbourhood-by-neighbourhood pothole filling crew is out and about these days, but if you've got one or a few that you don't want miss, be sure to Report a Pothole online <http://apps2.saskatoon.ca/app/aUtilityCutsPublic/>! You can also report potholes by calling 306-975-2476
- Rock Your Roots walk and National Aboriginal Day celebrations are taking place in Victoria Park on June 21st. Join the Walk (in the park at the corner of Spadina and Ave E South) at 9:30am (starts at 10:00am) and the celebrations at 11:30am with food and fun to follow at 12:30pm. RSVP on facebook if you like, here <https://www.facebook.com/events/441078029558689>.
- A full listing of Reconciliation month activities organized by Reconciliation Saskatoon can be found on the Office of the Treaty Commissioner website <http://www.otc.ca/blog/blog_details/reconciliation_saskatoon__month_of_events.html?page=1>.
- Pride celebrations continue all month long. Check out the schedule here <http://saskatoonpride.ca/events/> and be sure to check out the Parade on Saturday the 24th.
- Community Cleanups are all wrapped up for the spring season. Thanks to all who came out to help and all of the community associations who organized and ran the cleanup in their area!
Need to talk to the City?
Find a list of citizen service phone numbers here <https://www.saskatoon.ca/city-hall/find-department-or-contact/citizens-service-phone-numbers>.
You can now find all of the online services available on the City's site on one page here <https://www.saskatoon.ca/onlineservices>.
My 2017 Appointments:
Please note that these appointments help to focus my work, but do not limit my scope.
Strategic Priority: Community Safety and Wellness
Standing Policy Committee on Planning, Development and Community Services
Standing Policy Committee on Environment, Utilities and Corporate Services
Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee
Saskatoon Accessibility Advisory Committee
Saskatoon Public Library Board
Riversdale Business Improvement District
Saskatoon Housing Initiatives Partnership
Saskatoon Ideas Inc. Board of Directors
Don't hesitate to write, call, or catch me in person to discuss an issue or ask any questions you might have. If you need to speak with someone urgently, please consult the list of phone numbers above, or call the Clerk's office: 306-975-3240
All the best,
Hilary Gough - Ward 2 Councillor