It's a busy time of the year at City Hall as we consider the 2018 budget, appoint new committee members, and transition into operations for the winter season ahead. Below you'll find some Ward 2 specific updates as well as info about upcoming decisions and opportunities.
Ward 2 updates:
- Street Sweeping:
The Fall sweep has started; Some adjustments have been made to target the sweep in areas most prone to drainage issues as a result of leaves. This has resulted to some changes to where some sweeping takes place. This year, in Ward 2, the following sweeps will occur (keep in mind there might be slight readjustments due to weather). Watch for signs in your area.
Caswell Hill - complete
Holiday Park - avenues Oct. 27; streets Oct. 23
King George - avenues complete; streets Oct. 23
Riversdale - avenues complete; streets Oct. 23
- Road restrictions:
For up to date road restrictions anytime, visit the online map here
We have switched to the 'winter' Black Garbage Carts bi-weekly collection schedule until the end of April.
Green Carts for yard & food waste continue to be collected bi-weekly until November 7, with every customer getting a final collection November 1-7.
Find your complete schedule, the 'Waste Wizard' to identify what items go in which bins, and collections schedule reminder sign-up all in one place here.
The compost depots are open until Nov. 12, and FREE compost and mulch are available for pickup at the West depot on Hwy 7. Details here.
City-wide updates & happenings/Consultations to participate in:
- Short Term Accommodations:
Short term accommodations such as AirBnB and VRBO are growing in popularity. Have your say about these services in Saskatoon by attending an open house on Tuesday Oct. 24 (4-8pm Frances Morrison Library) or go online here to fill out the survey by Thursday Oct. 26th.
- Help us name the North Commuter Parkway Bridge:
Naming the NCP is an opportunity to unite our community and province in an act of reconciliation, and for all of Saskatoon’s citizens to see themselves in our community – in our shared places and spaces. Everyone is welcome to take part - school classes, individuals, families and more. Make your submission here. Curious about the construction status of both new bridges? Stay up to date here: saskatoon.ca/bridgingtotomorrow.
I've been participating in the 30 day waste challenge. This challenge has me exploring a new opportunity for waste diversion each week, from recycling to compost, and even waste reduction. Follow along and join in on Twitter or Instagram, Find me on either one : @hilaryyxe
Community Safety & Wellness
As noted previously, Council has assigned strategic priority areas for leadership by individual Councillors. The strategic priority area that I am leading is Community Safety and Wellness. Most recently, I have been working with the Mayors Office and many community partners to establish a Safe Community Action Alliance with diverse partners bringing diverse knowledge and ideas to the table to make coordinated progress on big issues together. More updates to come.
The draft business plan and budget has been tabled. This is the starting point for Council's debate at the end of November. Find everything you need to know about the 2018 budget here.
City Council meets next on Monday (Oct. 23). Both meetings are at City Hall in City Council chambers, and open to the public.
Brief highlights are outlined below. For full agendas, visit https://www.saskatoon.ca/city-hall/city-council-boards-committees/council/minutes-and-agendas
Regular Business Meeting | 1:00 PM
- Renaming request: portion of Victoria Park to 'Reconciliation Circle'
- Projects and Initiatives Prioritization within the Community Standards Division
- Abatement request for World Trade Centre Saskatoon under Vacant Lot/Adaptive Reuse incentive program
- Parks service level report
- Award of RFP - external audit services
- Options for renewal of Civic Conservatory
- Community Engagement Approach for Waste Diversion & Climate Change mitigation
- Waste Bylaw amendments (higher dumping fines, quicker turnaround/easier access for enforcement)
- Cottony Ash Psyllid response plan going forward
- Special Needs Garbage Collection
- Infill lane paving requirements
- Complete Streets Design and Policy Guide
- Budget : meeting structure/process
- Capital Project to Support Strategic Priority area projects
- Updates to the Procedures & Committees Bylaw
- New Sewer Use Bylaw
Public Hearing Meeting | 6:00 PM
- Rezoning & Discretionary use applications (none in Ward 2)
- Flag raising/proclamations
As always, if you'd like to speak to Council as a whole about something on the agenda, please get in touch with the Clerk's office before the meeting. More info here: https://www.saskatoon.ca/write-letter-councilcommittees